Tuesday, March 6, 2012

PXE Cache timeout

I had an issue with a laptop that was loaded using PXE/OSD and then needed to be reloaded half way through the process.  When I booted the laptop into PXE the second time I was receiving the error "No task sequence found, booting into the hard drive".

I was able to get the machine to boot back into PXE by restarting WDS but then it happened again.

I scratched my head for a bit and then hit google.

Apparently the default setting concerning PXE advertisements is to cache for 60 minutes and then expire.

With SCCM SP2 you can set the cache expiration in the registry:

  • On an x86 server -
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\PXE
  • On an x64 server -
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\SMS\PXE
Create (or modify) the DWORD value CacheExpire in seconds.  The default is 0 and that would set it to 60 minutes.  I chose 300 for 5 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Remote Mailboxes - Hybrid Config - Missing

The Remote Mailbox exists on the On Prem Exchange server and linked to the Office 365 mailbox. Without one of these for each Office 365 mail...